Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Farm Animals

Let's start storytime with a guessing game!  I'll say a riddle and you guess what is in the apron pocket!  OK, ready?

On grass and hay I chew and chew
I give you milk and say' "Moo Moo!"
 



Maa Maa Maa is what I say.
Maa Maa Maa all the day.
(They always guess sheep, but it's another animal that gives us milk.  It rhymes with boat.)
 



In mud and dirt I like to play.
Oink, Oink, Oink is what I say!
 



I'll give you rides, that's lots of fun!
Neigh Neigh Neigh, I gallop and run!
 



My feathers can be yellow, white or black.
Waddle, waddle, waddle, quack, quack, quack!

 


Baa Baa Baa, yes I have some wool,
Baa Baa Baa, three bags full!
 



If I'm your friend, you're never alone,
Woof!  Woof!  Woof!  Give me a bone!
 



I have whiskers and very soft fur.
I like to sleep and I go Puurrr, Purrr.
 



I'll lay eggs for you in my nest.
Cluck, Cluck, Cluck, I'll do my best!
 



Where do all of these animals live?  Yes, the farm!  Let's have a farm animal storytime!

We start with a really great farm animal book:  Duck on a Bike by David Shannon.
This one is a winner!  Kids of all ages love it-especially the ending!
 
Then we put the flannel animals into the barn (the flannel board) but leave the farmer's dog.  His name is BINGO!
 
 
Do you know the song?  We sing a verse and then talk about the tricky part:  turn the first letter over and clap that letter.  Don't sing it!  These children have some mad clapping skills!
 

 
 
Time for another great farm animal story:  The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson.
 

Such a fun, repetitive book with another great surprise ending.
 
Then, it's time to see what's in the 'big red barn', a 'bag o' puppets'.
 
It's Old MacDonald's farm!
And we sing:
With a moo moo here:
 

 
With a baa baa there:
 

 
Here a meow:
 

 
There a quack:
 

 
every where an oink oink!
Old MacDonald had a....Monkey???
 

Old MacDonald, You're silly!   Monkeys don't live on the farm.  Where do they live, children?  Right, the jungle!  Well, silly Old MacDonald had a Monkey.  What do Monkeys say?  oooooo  eeeeee!  With an ooooo oooo oooo here and a eee eee eee there...
Old MacDonald ends with a little chick.
 

It quiets the room down to hear a little peep peep here and there. 
This is a fun and silly storytime, perfect for Spring!
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment