Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thankful Storytime

Books Shared or Recommended:
Gracias!  Thanks! by Mora
Bear Says Thanks! by Wilson

We find a turkey and his feathers in the story time apron this month!  Why do we have a turkey?  Because of Thanksgiving!  That's when we think of all of the things that make us happy, things that we are thankful for.
 


What's missing?  The turkey doesn't have any feathers!  Let's dress him.
 (To the tune of "Have You Ever Seen a Lassie?")
 
Have you ever seen a turkey, a turkey, a turkey,
Have you ever seen a turkey, with feathers so bright?
WIth red ones, and orange ones, and green ones and yellow ones!
Have you ever seen a turkey with feathers so bright?
 
Then sing this again and get the other four feathers onto that naked bird.  AHA!  Now he's dressed for Thanksgiving.  We count his feathers.  Eight!  Then, to be tricky, we count backwards when we take them off of the flannel board.  What great counters!


We read Gracias!  Thanks!  The children really seem to enjoy this book where a boy lists all of the things that make him happy.
 



Then we read Bear Says Thanks!  At first I thought that this wasn't up there with the best of Wilson's books, but I'm warming to it.  The key to reading it is to sigh or moan when bear sighs or moans.  Also, explain that bear has a really deep voice and ask the children to say 'thanks' with you when "Bear says thanks".  Sometimes when you slow down and emphasize the words, they are more interesting.



Then it's time for pie.  Here is a fun Flannel that the kids just eat up!
 



One Whole Pie
One whole pie set by the door.
Let's count the pieces:  one, two, three, four!
Four pieces of pie, just for me!
I ate one piece and now there are...three!
Three pieces of pie, there's one for you,
You ate one and now there are...two!
Two pieces of pie!  Oh, what fun!
Let's eat another and then there's...one!
One piece of pie!  I can't wait!
I eat it up! And then there's an empty plate!

Next is a flannel set to Raffi's song, "Thanks A Lot".  I got this idea from the wonderful website, Mel's Desk.  I add the flannel pieces as Raffi sings about them.
 


After the song, I say that Raffi was thankful for:  the sun, the clouds, and say the pieces as I pick them up off of the flannel board to get them into the correct order for the next go-round.

Then it's time for Ted, the Turkey!  He's not a puppet, but he works just as well.  So, note to self, if you don't have a puppet, a stuffed animal works pretty well as a substitute.  I borrowed him from Technical Services and they don't seemed to have missed him yet.
 

Here's his song:
I'm a little Turkey!  My name is Ted.
Here are my feathers, here is my head!
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, is what I say!
I run and hide on Thanksgiving Day!
 
Then Ted gets to sing the goodbye song...
"Now it's time to say good-bye, say good-bye, say good-bye
Now it's time to say goodbye, You can pet me in the bookmobile!"
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment