Monday, May 20, 2013

Gardens!


Used and Recommended Books:

Flower Garden by Eve bunting
Isabella’s Garden by Millard
Jo MacDonald Had a Garden by Quattlebaum
My Garden by Henkes
Over in the Meadow by Langstaff
Pickin’ Peas by MacDonald
Planting a Rainbow by Ehlert
Swirl by Swirl by Sidman
Titch by Hutchins
Up, Down, and Around by Ayres

We found flowers and vegetables in the Storytime Apron's pockets this month.  I ask, "Where do you find these things?"  One response was, "Your pockets!"  Clever children.  One also said, "The grocery store!"  The answer I was looking for was, of course, the garden!

 
I start by reading Pickin' Peas by MacDonald.  This is a fun story about a little girl who grows peas in her garden and a rabbit visits.
 

Action Song:  Plant a Little Seed
I plant a little seed in the cold, cold ground.
Up comes the yellow sun, big and round.
Down comes the rain drops soft and slow.
Up comes the flowers, grow, grow, grow.
 
Flower Garden Action Rhyme:
One little flower growing just for you!
Up pops another and then there are:  two!
Two little flowers growing by a tree.
Up grows another and then there are:  three!
Three little flowers, growing more and more!
Up comes another and then there are:  four!
Four little flowers!  Look, they're alive!
Up grows another, and then there are five!
 
Then it's time for a pupet to visit!
I tell the story of Gail, the Snail.
Gail the Snail
This story is about Gail the Snail.  Can you say hi to gail?  Tha snail carries her house on her back and that’s one reason why they go so slow.  It’s a lot of weight.  Imagine if you had to carry your house on your backi?  Or even your bed…How heavy that would be!
Well, Gail was an ordinary snail.  She lived in the garden and she liked to look for things to eat like rotting flowers and green leaves.  Well, one day she wanted to go to the pond so she creeped along because that’s what snails do, they creep along.  Can you help her creep along?  Creep creep creep.
 
Well, along came her friend Chuck the Duck, who was waddling along.  Hi let’s go down to the pond.  Come waddling with me!  Gail says that she can't waddle!  Chuck likes waddling so much that he sings a song, waddling to the pnd:  "I'm waddling, I'm waddling, I'm waddling and singing my song!"
 
The Myrtle the Turtle walked along and the same thing happens (Let's walk!   I can't walk!  I'm walking... and believe it or not, Myrtle was faster than Gail the Snail!").

Then Lady the bug flew  by with the same story line.

All of gail’s friend were down at the pond. 
Then over head came a big shadow…It was Joe the Crow.  What a tasty snack!  But Gail went into her shell and Joe said…where’d she go?  All I see is a rock!
 
 Gail peeks out and asks the children, "Is he gone?"  "Oh good!  I guess I'm glad that I carry my house on my back!"  Then Gail sings, " I’m creeping!  I'm creeping!  I'm creeping and singing my song!"  She made it down to the pond and had a pond party with all of her friends!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment